Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,951
Like?
Re: Cutting to the chase.
In reply to Steen Bay, 7 months ago

Steen Bay wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Life is too short to bother more with this pointless exchange. The nub of it is simple, you set out to 'prove' a mundane and obvious result using extensive calculations based on made-up numbers. That itself was an exercise in futility. My objection to that kind of bogusly quantitative exercise is that the might convince gullible people that there is something of substance in them, because on the surface they look deep and complex, when all they are is an exercise in numerbation (not even measurebation, because there are no genuine measurements involved). As for the result, yes if the pixel count is so small (we discover, about 200k) then you wont see the effects of diffraction or anything else. Every lens becomes perfect. What a great idea.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Also visible on cameras with more than 200k pixels. If someone for example upgraded from 5D to D800 (from 12.7mp to 36mp), then I'm almost sure that he/she would notice that diffraction would start to visibly reduce the resolution (of a good lens, at 100% view) at a larger aperture on D800 than it did on 5D.

Are you sure? How are you sure?

I love the way that you haven't the confidence in your own views just to say you're sure, so you're 'almost sure'. Would you like to quantify your lack of surety? 5%, 10%, 20%? In which units?

The higher the peak resolution is to start with, the more you have to lose to things like diffraction and camera shake. Nothing controversial about that.

That's not how it's put, though is it? And is just as true about excellent lenses. We have regular threads on this forum saying how mFT lenses are the best. Well the downside of that is that they have more to lose - or is it?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow