Too many lenses. Please help me optimize.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chrisada
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Too many lenses. Please help me optimize.
2 months ago

GAS got the better of me after the year end bonus, and I ended up adding a couple of lenses and I am feeling that there are some redundancies. Some of them are clearly meant for similar situations, and I probably don't need all. I am also feeling guilty about the spending and want to make up some cash, but there is no target on how much. The focus is more to optimize and reduce redundancies.

I am using Panasonic GX7 and here are my lenses, listed in the order that I had acquired them:

• Panasonic 14 F2.5
  • PanaLeica 25 F1.4
  • Panasonic 45-150 F4-5.6
  • Olympus 9-18 F4-5.6
  • Panasonic 14-140 II F3.5-5.6
  • Olympus 45 F1.8
  • Olympus 12-40 F2.8
  • Olympus 75 F1.8

Ordered by focal length, in case it makes it easier to see the overlaps

• Olympus 9-18 F4-5.6
  • Olympus 12-40 F2.8
  • Panasonic 14 F2.5
  • PanaLeica 25 F1.4
  • Olympus 45 F1.8
  • Olymput 75 F1.8
  • Panasonic 14-140 II F3.5-5.6
  • Panasonic 45-150 F4-5.6

The ones in bold are ones I like in particular, and won't want to sell. The rest are up for consideration.

My main types of photography

Daughter - (3 year old) A lot of it is in door, and she moves around a lot. Being older now, she is also conscious with being photographed, so the PanaLeica 25 doesn't work so well even if it is the fastest lens I have. The Olympus 45 had gave me a lot more of keepers lately. Outdoor and with sports, I have high hope for the Olympus 75.

Family trips - We don't do much hiking yet, but I want to do more this year. A lot of beaches, zoos, aquarium (usually dark), city visits. Mainly in South East Asia. The Olympus 12-40 had been very good. I got to use the tele zooms only sparingly, but I will probably want to keep one just in case.

Street - My first MFT kit is GF2 with just Panasonic 14. Just the one lens. And I had a lot of fun with it. Now I have these many other lenses, most are more expensive, but the FOV are usually too narrow or the physical size too intimidating. I don't want to buy another lens right now, but if I manage to sell off a few I might look at the Olympus 17 or the new PanaLeica 15.

Usually, I try to take just 3 lenses with me. My safe choice right now are 12-40, 25, 75 unless I know I will need the long tele.

So, that's it. Please help me make peace with myself!! Thanks!

Chrisada's gear list:Chrisada's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow