Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: Thing is...
In reply to Ulric, 10 months ago

Ulric wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

I get the impression that some people see the words 'diffraction' and 'limit(ed)' in close proximity and freak out without reading what I've written.

Johnny, for the benefit of everyone: just what is your definition of diffraction limited? A single, short sentence that anyone can understand. Mine is "Resolving power decreases when the lens is stopped down."

...that's true of all lenses. It's simply a matter of what aperture the increasing diffraction softening outweighs lessening lens aberrations or, according to Johnny Boyd, what aperture you notice that diffraction is resulting in softer photos (which, of course, also depends tremendously, even primarily, on how large we display the photos, how closely we view them, and our visual acuity).

It is certainly not true of all lenses that resolving power is at a maximum wide open and decreases as it is stopped down.

You didn't initially say "is at a maximum wide open". So, if you are defining a "diffraction limited lens" as a lens that resolves best wide open, then we are in agreement.

I was just noting that "Resolving power decreases when the lens is stopped down" is true of all lenses once past their peak aperture.  But, for sure, if we add "right from wide open" to the end of that statement, as I said, I agree.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow