Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
chary zp
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
Problem solved
In reply to walnorth, 7 months ago

walnorth wrote:

Hi,

You're standing near a freeway. What are you standing on? Is it vibrating? A million years ago, when I was at university, my student job was servicing and installing electronic equipment to study freeway traffic. You'd be surprised how much and how far things shake. I've taken lots of freeway photos, handheld because of the vibration.

Just to be sure, why don't you put a glass or flat container of water where you're setting up your tripod? Watch the surface. Is it vibrating? Or smooth and flat? Doesn't matter how solid your tripod is if you're putting it on a vibrating surface.

I hope this isn't a silly suggestion. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new tripod and head....

don

Thanks for your reply. It is not silly at all!

I believe there have been many frowned foreheads of people who were shooting long exposures and walking around the tripod on unstable surface, stomping. Fortunately this is not the case - I was standing on a sturdy wooden lookout platform on a quite massive piece of rock hundreds of meters from any heavy traffic. Not rocking the tripod is what I can do. Not having the camera rock because of the mirror flap is rather more complicated.

Fortunately there is a solution - LV sequence shooting. In LV, the mirror doesn't flap at all during sequence shooting. There is only the vibration of the shutter curtain, which is rather negligible, compared to the mirror. LV sequence shooting is like permanent mirror up

Thanks Kuppenbender for heading me - to mirrorless system. How can you turn a DSLR into "a mirrorless"? LV

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow