Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael L NYC 99
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Trip to the Bronx Zoo (G6 and 100-300)
2 months ago

It finally was warm this past weekend and I took a trip to the Bronx Zoo. It's been six months since my last visit and I did not want to go when it was freezing and also deal with lens condensation in the indoor exhibits. I mainly used my G6 with Pany 100-300 along with a tripod. I kept the ballhead loose so I could pivot freely and kept the lens OIS turned on. I mainly kept the lens wide open and shot at ISO 800 with -1/3 EV compensation. All shots were RAW and processed in Lightroom 5. I wanted to try the electronic shutter, but forgot about it until late in my visit.

All of these shots were with the 100-300 and are shown in chronological order. C&C welcome, especially suggestions for getting better results in camera and in processing.

Ebony Langur. I sometimes can get away with ISO 400 here, but there wasn't much sun coming through the skylight this time.

Young silvered langur. The silvered langurs seemed more active than the ebony langurs. I had to lift exposure and shadows quite a bit in processing as the little guy was mostly in shadow.

Father and son white cheeked gibbons. The small gibbon here was born in November 2012 and was orange colored when I saw him last January. Males have mainly black coloring while females are mainly reddish tan.

Painted stork up high at the end of the Jungle World exhibit.

This is the only shot taken hand held as I had plenty of light for a fast shutter. Peacocks have the run of the place at the zoo and can be found walking around throughout the facility. This was at the camel ride, which was shut down during the winter.

Snow leopards are catch as catch can at the zoo. Sometimes they're resting under shade and staying put and sometimes they're moving around and friendly to cameras.

This guira cuckoo was conveniently perched under some lights in this World of Birds exhibit.

I wish I had more depth of field for this nicobar pigeon shot. I focused on the head, so the body is soft. Any suggestions on how to quickly focus stack and how many photos would be needed here to focus stack?

I finally remembered to try the electronic shutter when I was taking shots of this collared lemur. I was getting shutter speeds below 1/100 and gave the e-shutter a go and it worked very well, especially as this lemur was not moving.

The rest of these shots were taken with the electronic shutter.

This ring tailed lemur was in the same exhibit with collared lemurs, tortoises, ring tailed mongooses (mongeese?) and some very small birds. There was a mesh screen in front of the exhibit, but it disappears unless the animal is right behind the screen.

I always have trouble with the tigers. We have to shoot through scratchy and smudged plexiglass and reflections are also prevalent. It's also pot luck whether the tigers will be in photographic range and facing the camera. I got lucky here as the tiger walked right in front of me.

This is my favorite shot of the trip. There were four brown bears in this exhibit. There was one trouble maker trying to push the other bears around.

I have a few more shots left to process and probably will post them in the next "this week" thread.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Michael L NYC 99's gear list:Michael L NYC 99's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow