Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,178
Like?
Um...
In reply to Jonny Boyd, 6 months ago

Jonny Boyd wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:Diffraction causes a decrease in resolution, agreed?

Agreed.

When resolution drops due to stopping down from the peak aperture, that is due to diffraction, agreed?

Agreed.

At the aperture at which diffraction is reducing resolution, you can say that diffraction is limiting the resolution of the final image, agreed?

Agreed.

If resolution appears to be the same at an aperture smaller than the peak aperture then diffraction doesn't become the dominant factor in limiting resolution until later than the peak aperture, agreed?

Agreed.

Therefore, for practical purposes, as far as the eye can see, a system where resolution visibly drops immediately after peak aperture is more limited by diffraction than a system where the visible drop happens later. Agreed?

Not agreed, and am surprised you do not understand this. For example, let's say for a particular display size, viewing distance, and visual acuity, I can resolve 1000 lw/ph. All else equal, the photo from the lower MP sensor will dip below that threshold before the higher MP sensor.

What you're saying is that the lower resolution sensor produces lower resolution images. No kidding, that's what I've always said.

But how does this make the higher MP sensor more "diffraction limited" than the lower MP sensor?

My argument is that for a sufficiently low resolution sensor, an image taken at peak aperture and an image taken at a smaller aperture will have a difference in resolution that is indistinguishable to the naked eye because it is so minor. For practical purposes therefore the perceived resolution is not being limited by diffraction until an even smaller aperture than the actual peak.

But you can't see that the higher MP sensor had greater resolution at the peak aperture, so the higher MP sensor isn't being "visibly limited" by diffraction, either, until a much smaller aperture.

In contrast, a higher resolution sensor will exhibit a drop in resolution immediately after the peak aperture which will be greater in relative and absolute terms and be more noticeable...

But it won't be noticeable -- that's the whole point. The higher MP sensor is resolving better than you can see, so you don't notice the drop in resolution.

...therefore the system is limited by diffraction at an earlier aperture, while (as I have said on numerous occasions) having greater resolution than the lower resolution image.

No. Both the high and low MP sensors reached their peak at the same aperture, and the higher MP sensor had higher resolution at every stop, which was beyond what you could see. Thus, if anything, the photo from the higher MP sensor dropped below that visible threshold at a smaller aperture than the photo from the lower MP sensor.

I get the impression that some people see the words 'diffraction' and 'limit(ed)' in close proximity and freak out without reading what I've written.

At best what you're trying to say is that the higher MP sensor might go from, say, 3000 lw/ph at it's peak to 2000 lw/ph stopped down to some point, whereas the lower MP sensor might go from 2200 lw/ph to 1900 lw/ph at the same stopped down aperture.

You are then arguing that we would notice a drop in resolution from 3000 lw/ph to 2000 lw/ph, but we wouldn't notice a drop in resolution from 2200 lw/ph to 1900 lw/ph. Thus, you conclude that the lens on the lower MP sensor is "diffraction limited" at a more narrow aperture than the lens on a higher MP sensor.

So, are you trying to define "diffraction limited" as when the lens resolution falls to a particular resolution of its peak value?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow