Senior MemberPosts: 2,443Gear list
Like?
Re: Cutting to the chase.
In reply to Jonny Boyd, 6 months ago

Jonny Boyd wrote:

)Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

You will not notice much difference if you open up more, either. All this based on you idea that a 5% drop from, say, 1200 is the same, visually, as 5% drop from 2400, which is a very bold assumption and flat out wrong at moderate viewing sizes.

And where exactly is that assumption?

You are applying 5% threshold for low density sensors and for higher one. This does no prove existence of a limit but let us play that game for a moment. Why fixed percentage? Why not measure it absolute terms? Why not on a log scale?

In this post (Re: Diffraction Limit Discussion Continuation) I said:

If we said that a resolution difference of 0.1% was the limit of perception, then for all practical purposes, peak resolution is indeed a plateau that stretches over several apertures for smaller sensor sizes.

[...]

Again, it was just giving an example of where the change in perceived resolution could be. It wasn't intended to be a hard and fast claim that our eyes will only notice a drop in resolution of 5%. Not were any claims I was making dependent on that figure.

That was not my point. Why do you think that X% drop in resolution, whatever that X is, should be the right way to measure sensitivity? Why not X divided or multiplied by the actual MTF-50 number? Or something else?

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow