Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,073Gear list
Like?
Re: Pana 20/1.7 version II versus version I
In reply to brentbrent, 5 months ago

brentbrent wrote:

kenw wrote:

I have the version I 20/1.7 and the 17/1.8. By all accounts nothing changed optically or AF wise on the version II.

I have had the v.1 20mm for a couple years. I got a good deal on a v.2 20mm when I was buying a GX7, so I got that lens and planned to keep it and sell the v.1. I prefer the appearance of the v.2.

My personal comparison of the two:

1. The v.2 was much quieter when focusing than my v.1. Whether that is due to age of my v.1 or sample variation, I can't say, but I can say there was a definite difference.

2. I did not notice any difference in AF speed.

3. On test images I shot, the v.2 seemed a bit softer at the edges than the v.1. I believe I've read something similar from some test site (DXOMark?) I am far from an expert when it comes to evaluating lenses, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone put a whole lot of weight on what I say in this regard. But I've been so happy with the v.1 lens for years that I ended up selling my new v.2 lens and keeping the older one. I just didn't want to take the chance that I'd end up not as impressed with the v.2. Again, perhaps just sample variation, if anything.

I'd chalk all the differences up to sample variation. The lens design is exactly the same, optically as well as mechanically. The differences between v.1 and v.2 are purely cosmetic.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow