Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
Pana 20/1.7 version II versus version I
In reply to kenw, 7 months ago

kenw wrote:

I have the version I 20/1.7 and the 17/1.8. By all accounts nothing changed optically or AF wise on the version II.

I have had the v.1 20mm for a couple years.   I got a good deal on a v.2 20mm when I was buying a GX7, so I got that lens and planned to keep it and sell the v.1.   I prefer the appearance of the v.2.

My personal comparison of the two:

1.  The v.2 was much quieter when focusing than my v.1.  Whether that is due to age of my v.1 or sample variation, I can't say, but I can say there was a definite difference.

2.  I did not notice any difference in AF speed.

3.  On test images I shot, the v.2 seemed a bit softer at the edges than the v.1. I believe I've read something similar from some test site (DXOMark?)  I am far from an expert when it comes to evaluating lenses, so I wouldn't suggest that anyone put a whole lot of weight on what I say in this regard.  But I've been so happy with the v.1 lens for years that I ended up selling my new v.2 lens and keeping the older one.  I just didn't want to take the chance that I'd end up not as impressed with the v.2.  Again, perhaps just sample variation, if anything.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow