ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,676
Like?
Frustrations of buying from the USA
8 months ago

Trying to buy form the USA.

Adorama had a lens listed but the general listing freight price was higher than that on the particular listing.

The particicular listing said "$50" but the search listing said the even more outrageous "$100" both were for international expedited air freight. On the scale of things $50 is pretty high anyway.  There seems to be some sort of shipping scheme from the US that prices shipping so much higher than from other parts of the world.  German or UK shipping is much more reasonable and just as fast and efficient.  Anyway it is the net cost that worries potential customers.  Vendors in the US must be missing some overseas sales this way.

But the different freight prices meant that sourcing ex-Hong Kong was either slightly dearer or slightly more expensive whichever  freight was charged.  Hong Kong vendors are pretty sharp with their freight and can have it on my doorstep by courier  in three days from collection by the courier company.  Against 8-12 days ex-USA.

When I checked with Adorama which rate prevailed I got a reply as if I was asking for a discount.  I carefully explained that I just wanted confirmation on which of two nominated freight rates they had listed would apply.  Another reply - our system is automated - we don't give discounts.  Seems that the whole place is automated including customer service brains.

It made me check around, I found the same lens in Australian stock for AUD$200 less - even after our 10% local "sales tax" GST.  Will be here overnight by courier - $16.  Our falling dollar has made buying locally suddenly much more attractive.

The purpose of this is to show that even internet vendors can act dumb, or at least don't read your attempts at communication.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow