miketuthill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,020Gear list
Like?
Re: Adobe Elements 9 to Lightroom 5.3 ===> My experience
In reply to Sirandar, 9 months ago

Sirandar wrote:

From the OP

Tried another experiment with LR 5.3

Wiped my laptop of pictures and did a export of my entire picture library on my PC to a external hard drive connected with an eSATA cable.

Lightroom exported 22000 files to the drive into a single directory with no issues whatsoever (with full metedata). The jpgs were resized to 1900pix on the long edge and 75% quality

I then adjusted the permissions for the directory in Window 7 (you need to do this with ESATA)

I then imported the entire library into a fresh catalog into my laptop with setting to copy and set up a new directory structure by date.

My laptop did this with absolutely no issues whatsoever and when I checked the new catalog there were no conflicts, tag problems or troubles building the preview cache. Now my pic are a nice size and quaility for my laptop and I now have lots more room on my drive

When I tried this with Elements there was always some mayhem and in the end I limped though the process and suffered and then just added photos to the laptop as I processed them .... a major pain. I never did get any kind of conversion to work.

It sounds like you are having a positive experience with Lightroom. I've also been happy with Lightroom right from version 1. It's a shame that not everyone can manage to get their heads past the resistance to importing prior to adjusting as the entire LR experience is so much more efficient for dealing with large numbers of photos both in organizing, adjusting and outputting.

It's good that we have choices though and one should use whatever they are safisfied with.

-- hide signature --
 miketuthill's gear list:miketuthill's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow