Some Firmware Tweaks I would like to see (after discussion with Oly Tech Support)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,723Gear list
Like?
Some Firmware Tweaks I would like to see (after discussion with Oly Tech Support)
5 months ago

I just recently replaced my EP5 with the EM10 and overall could not be happier. However there are two "tweaks" that I suggested to an Olympus tech when I called this afternoon.

(1) I just got a refurbished Olympus 17mm 1.8 lens and while testing it out I was surprised that when you engage the manual focusing "clutch" on the lens (instead of actually changing from S-AF to MF on the camera body) my selected Manual Focus Assist (Focus Peaking) did not activate. Thinking that something was wrong with the lens I called Olympus Tech Support and was informed - no this is the way the lens/camera is meant to operate. The only way to use Focus Peaking was to switch from AF to MF on the camera and use the "focus by wire" on the lens. I said it was sort of stupid and suggested that they should implement a change in the way FP is activated.

(2) Decided to play with MySets - after many Olympus cameras - and was very surprised that unless you access the MySet via the MENU (as opposed to assigning it to a position on the mode dial), any button assignments are not applied. For example - if in MySet1 I have FN1 button assigned to Focus Peaking, and then assign MySet1 to iAuto on the camera mode dial, switching to iAuto will change whatever camera settings I had saved (ISO, Face Detection, AF Area, etc.) but the button functions will remain on what they were BEFORE moving the Mode Dial. If I use the MENU to actually select the MySet, THEN the button assignments will be applied. When confirming with Olympus Tech that this is in fact the way the camera operates (at least the EM10), I suggested that then MySets lose a lot of their appeal. I miss the C1/C2 that I have on my Stylus 1 camera.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MoreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow