Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Englishman in France
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Would buy the Olympus if you are shooting kids or parties
In reply to Jim Laurel, 8 months ago

I own both. I got the Panasonic 20mm for my GF1 ages ago.  Got the Olympus 17mm in a fit of frustration just after Christmas, because of the autofocus.  I had simply stopped using the 20mm to take photos of my family, and would use the PL25mm or the Oly 12mm even if the focal length was unsuitable for the occassion. The only time I would use the 20mm was when I was going on a walk and wanted a small lens on my camera to fit it in my pocket.

I was worried about all the reviews saying the Oly 17mm optics weren't as good as the Panny 20mm (four stars versus five), which is why it took me so long to buy it.  But I am glad I did, and have never used my 20mm since then.  If you like nice gear, and by that I mean solid, nice feel in hand, quick and silent, then you will prefer the Olympus.  I haven't noticed the difference in optical quality for the type of photos that  do.

If you are taking indoor shots of childrens birthday parties, kids unwrapping christmas presents, parties with people dancing about, kids running about indoors (or any indoor activity with people moving) then I would strongly recommend the Olympus over the Panasonic.

The advantage of the panasonic over the olympus is better still life photos and slightly more compact.  Having said that, I still prefer to use the olympus over the panasonic, because it just feels better to use.

Deep down though, I really wanted Lieca to design a 17.5mm summilux for Panasonic, instead of a 30mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow