Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
Community Challenge: Just One Photo in February
7 months ago

A month following the highly popular January thread, I found that there are many great photographers--who aren't just gearheads--here on DPReview.

The essence of continuing this now monthly thread is to submit your best photo from the month of February. To clarify, "best" can mean your favorite photo, your technically greatest composition, or an image that has won you the most acclaim in any form. Photographs submitted can be from any Sony compact system camera, be it of either the NEX, Alpha, or even RX series. There are still some days left in this short month, so if you do not feel like you have created your best monthly photo, "get out and shoot"!

To get a better understanding of our fellow photographers in the forum, feel free to post any image parameters (lens used, EXIF if not embedded in file, etc.) along with a short description as to why you chose your photograph.

Let me make it clear that THIS IS NOT A CONTEST, only a communal sharing of our best photos to help offset all the gear talk.

I'll start:

Many in the continental U.S. had plenty of snow this month, along with even greater opportunities for snow photographs. I have made a few of my own from walking and driving around Lexington, KY. However, this month also marks the beginning of a long season of sports photography, from swimming and equestrian in late winter to baseball and lacrosse in the spring.

On the first of the month I shot a swim meet largely with my 200mm f/2 AI-s ED wide-open. I am very close to feeling exactly where the focus ring needs to be placed for precise and fast action photography, similar to the "muscle memory" I have with my other Nikkors. On the plus side, working with the extremely short depth-of-field that f/2 can provide at 200mm actually makes focusing via peaking easier. That's not to say capturing the butterfly stroke head-on is a walk-in-the-park!

Power

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow