Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,139Gear list
Like?
Re: slowness
In reply to kenw, 8 months ago

kenw wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

My nits against the 20 is that it produces starburst highlights (some like, I don't). It also tends to produce green polygon flare patterns (again, I don't like them). It can render things a little harsh.

Good point on the rendering - forgot to mention that. The rendering and bokeh are a bit different on the two lenses and that is very much a taste kind of thing. The 20 has more of an "energetic" bokeh that some find appealing and others a bit distracting. Really it probably more depends on the subject and composition as to whether it is desirable or not. The 17 is a smoother bokeh.

The bokeh is different all right. But I certainly wouldn't describe that of the 17 as smoother. Neither lens is a bokeh king but based on what I have seen so far, I prefer the OOF rendering of the 20. Have a look at the directly comparable images provided by Ming Thein here

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/11/17/olympus-zd-17-1_8/

which I find informative with regard to bokeh as well as other things. Altholugh I appreciate his visual evidence, I take issue with Thein's own comments/conclusions with regard to that evidence. My interpretation is provided here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50712540

As to the speed I also perceive the difference you mention and the more failures to focus in low light than the 17.

With regard to AF speed in general, see my earlier reply to you. I might add that I have never been able to verify that the 20 is more prone to hunting than other lenses under directly comparable conditions (same light, same body, same AF settings, same image content in the AF frame), which is of course in line with expectations. The only things one would expect to matter here is light intake and contrast and the 20 is above average in both regards. But, as already indicated elsewhere, when the lens does hunt the hunting takes longer than with other lenses (which is a good reason not to let it do that).

But as someone else linked Anders showed in some controlled conditions there isn't much of a difference. AF performance is a really hard thing to measure and also perceptions are sometimes different from reality too.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow