Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.
In reply to dinoSnake, 7 months ago

I tossed this up... the 20mm is marginally sharper, the 17mm focuses faster. The kicker for me is that the 17 is a true 35mm equivalent... 20mm isn't 35 nor is it 50 and it's not narrow enough for portraits and not wide enough either to be a lens that is traditionally familiar with any type of shooting that you would do. It's just 40mm which is nothing really and that's what it boils down to.

A 17mm is 35mm equivalent is your normal width lens for a 35mm compact or range finder... It's the width most of us grew up with and that's what sold me on the fact that the 17mm wins out when optically its splitting hairs between the both of them.

I grew up with 35mm compacts and DSLRs though from the late 80s onwards learning how to shoot, so that's what I'm used to... take that with a grain of salt if you're more used to a 50mm format.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow