Pentax interview pretty clear about FF inevitability....

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,518
Like?
Re: A goal without a date is just a dream...
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 10 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

miles green wrote:

...they are still ready to talk to 3rd party lens makers...

Why? Wouldn't Pentax want to make and sell their own lenses?

I know that at present Pentax has few full-frame lenses. That actually puts them ahead. When the *ist D came out, Pentax had no APS-C lenses. Pentax has several full-frame primes still in production. All they would need to get started would be a normal zoom (say 24-70/80) and a 70-300 zoom. I'll bet they've already designed those, and only need to start producing them.

Joe

Joe, who is going to buy all that produced stuff in sufficient quantities? Current digital photography market is far from 2005's market's position, when even a slim offer was good enough to succeed.

Those times are forever gone, I'm afraid, and the current market is over-saturated with choice.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir, I am not predicting that Pentax will produce a full-frame DSLR. I don't know whether they will. But surely they have worked on developing one, as well as lenses for it.

For a long time some people thought that Tokina, not Pentax, designed the joint lenses. There seems to be a supposition that Pentax cannot make the lenses it needs. Of course they can. They often choose not to for market reasons.

Remember that Pentax's main market is Japan, where oddities like the limited lenses have a certain appeal.

Joe

P.S. Tokina designed the 12-24. Pentax designed all of the other joint lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow