Adobe Elements 9 to Lightroom 5.3 ===> My experience

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sirandar
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Re: Adobe Elements 9 to Lightroom 5.3 ===> My experience
In reply to Sirandar, 10 months ago

Further updates in the Adobe Elements 9 to Lightroom 5.3 from the OP

I am amazed at the database capabilities of Lightroom.

It works so well I decided to add gps coordinates to all the pictures I had a places tag on in Elements.

Method:

1) Go to the first places tag/keyword and select the photos

2) Remember out about where it was (Sometimes this is only a ball park)

3) Go to Google maps and make your best guess at the location

4) Right click and select "Whats Here" to get GPS coordinates and enter them into the metadata under GPS

5) Do a sync for all pics with this tag

6) Write the keywords to the files (you could do this for all pics at the end)

7) Repeat unlit your brain hurts.

It is best to do the broad geographic tags first so that the more specific locations aren't over written.

The Experience and Issues:

It took about 4 hours off and on to do about 300 locations and 10K pictures on a recent PC with a SSD

Lightroom didn't crash even once

Lightroom slowed down about 1/2 was through the process but exiting Lightroom fixed this (there must be some minor resource leaks)

My workflow exposed a pretty big issue with importing a Elements 9 catalog .....  Elements 9 allows commas in the tags, Lightroom does not allow commas in keywords  BUT upon import of a Elements 9 library LR imports the tags as keywords with commas.  This does not seem to casuse any issues but it does ..... the commas in the keywords cause those pictures show up under the filter that describes pictures that the catalog is not in sync with the file metadata = conflicts.  Updating the tag doesn't fix the conflict nor does wrting the catalog from the file.  Only removing the offending comma from the keyword prevents the semirandom conflicts in the metadata.  I imagine in the long term this could cause serious issue in Lightroom catalog.

The World View in LR actually works  with about 10K GPS tagged pictures .... unbelievable.

If your pictures show up somewhere near Africa it is because your camera or software but 0,0,0,0 in the GPS metadata.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow