Tried to buy local, no sale.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob Topp
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
While we're on the subject...
In reply to nrwhitman, 10 months ago

In 2012 I gave up on getting an EM-5 after seeing it back-ordered everywhere for so often. Visiting a daughter in Kentucky, I stopped at a large, locally-owned store in Louisville, Murphy's Camera. I had a good feeling as soon as I stepped into the place- it was very large for a camera store, but it was also packed with customers at midday on a Saturday. I perused the wrap-around counter until I found the m4/3 gear and stepped up to ask if there were an EM-5 on hand that I could handle. The salesman grabbed one from under the counter, stopped long enough to make sure the battery was charged and that a memory card was in place, then passed it to me. We talked as I sighted around the shop taking a shot now and then. He had played with the camera enough to become familiar with basic operation, but admitted he needed to spend more time with it; he was personally trying out a Fuji and was interested in how it compared to the Olympus. Having read a lot about the EM-5 by that time, I maneuvered through the menu pretty easily and set up what I was looking for. Never once did the salesman try to baffle me with B.S. or pressure me into looking at other gear in the store.

After negotiating with my wife, I walked out with the camera. I'd have driven back up to Kentucky to buy the EM-1 if Murphy's had gotten it in stock before I found one. The sales tax didn't hurt a bit compared with the satisfaction of being able to handle the camera before buying- and having handled it, I would never have gone on line to save that bit.

Regards,

Bob Topp

Bob Topp's gear list:Bob Topp's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow