Tried to buy local, no sale.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,654
Like?
It's happened to me
In reply to Sean Nelson, 5 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

The more I read threads like this the more I appreciate the camera stores here in Vancouver - from small stores like Dunne and Rundle to larger pro-oriented stores like Leo's Camera Supply to chains like Kerrisdale Cameras and London Drugs - we have a lot of good support for M43 equipment. And I've never run into any sales staff who've tried to talk me out of the equipment I've been interested in.

I recall another bad experience at a local camera store.  In 1986 I went into a store in San Jose, California to buy a flash.  I had done research beforehand and knew exactly what I wanted.  It was cheaper buying from the New York places in the back of the photo magazines (before the internet), but I wanted it quickly so was willing to pay a bit more.  I went into the store to buy and told the man what I wanted.  He immediately went into a rant about how that brand was crap (even though it was popular, used by pros and amateurs, and got good reviews) and how he highly recommended a different flash of a different brand.  His attitude and demeanor were really offputting.  I politely asked to see the flash I was interested in anyway and he finally admitted they didn't sell that brand.  I walked out and immediately went home and ordered it from New York.  Saved money and got it in a few days.  In the U.S. I have had several bad experiences with local camera stores in various locations.  I love online and am not concerned if the B&M camera stores go out of business.  I am sure there are some good ones, but in 40+ years I can recall no great experiences, just okay at best, which is sort of damning with faint praise.   In Japan though I often buy at B&M stores.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow