Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Pic Man
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Re: Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.
In reply to richarddd, 10 months ago

richarddd wrote:

Anders W has tested the 20/1.7 and 17/1.8 and found no meaningful difference in AF speed. He suggests people believe the 20 is slower because it is noisier focusing. For example, http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3563867

The 20 v 17 is a frequently debated topic here.

I had the 20mm on GX1 and this was my experience too. I didn't find any meaningful difference between the 20mm and my other lenses including kit lens in regards to focus speed. Perhaps it's slower on Olympus bodies I don't know. If it hunts it will be slower but it doesn't hunt often. From near to infinity focus it might be slightly slower. I think the issue of 20mm being slow is overblown in this forum. It does make a noise, not loud but if I was frequently shooting video perhaps this might be a concern.

I got to try the 17mm 1.8 the other day on an ep5 and it was a wonderful combination. The 17mm seemed sharp to me even though I've seen some reviews say it isn't that great. The 20 might be sharper but I think you'll be happy with the 17. It focused silently and fast like many other m43 lenses and it had a nice build quality.

I would pick based on focal length unless the focusing noise of the 20 is not good for video (I don't know as I've never tried). If it were me though I'd go for the 14mm f2.5. I love the 28mm focal length. The lens is tiny, sharp, weighs next to nothing and is very cheap.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow