Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.
In reply to rgs_45, 10 months ago

rgs_45 wrote:

Aside the the 3mm difference in FL, what advantages and disadvantages of getting either the Pana or Oly lens?? For someone that has or used both, which has better sharpness, IQ? Which has faster focusing speed?

Pana: (+) cheaper, smaller, faster

Oly: (+) better built (to me), wider coverage (-) more expensive

I'm deciding which one to get and need some help. Will be used mainly indoors and low light shooting and maybe 10-20% video (short clips only). Will be getting one in a week for a trip. I have a GX1

Appreciate your help.

Both are good choices, but I think it depends on your preference for field of view. I personally love the 35 mm FOV in FF (17mm in MFT), but there was no fast 17mm at the time I bought into MFT system, so the 20 mm had to do. It is not a bad compromise, though sometimes, I wish it were a tad wider.

Assuming you have a kit lens on some camera, find the equivalent FOV and use it...see which one you prefer. If you have an MFT camera with kit lens, find 17mm, and use blue painters masking tape and fix the zoom, use it and then do the same for 20mm. I think you will find the 3 mm makes more of a difference than you might think.

If video is important, especially in low light, go for the Oly 17. The Pansonic 20 can be noisy under some circumstances...the camera mics might pick up the motor noise if it traverses from far to near or vice versa.

Otherwise, I am hapy I have the 20 now, and would not personally bother to get the 17.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow