Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
Is it crazy to consider leaving my D800 at home while I travel
7 months ago

to Vietnam and Korea because of the weight? I lugged my D800 around Peru (up and down the mountains of Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu, and all around Lima) a few years back and it was a tying experience, and here I am now in my mid fifties and I’m wondering if I want to do it all over again.

I was thinking about taking my OMD with an assortment of lenses instead, but I sure wonder if I’d miss that 36mp when hiking through the rice paddy landscapes of Vietnam or the beautiful and scenic Ha Long Bay.

I’ve even thought about taking my D800 with only my 28mm f1.8 and 85 f1.8 (perhaps my 50mm f1.4) and my OMD with only a 24mm 1.8 for pocket carry, and leaving the 24-120mm f4 at home; just a thought since I do love my primes and it would lighten the load a bit.

I’d also like to know what most folks (around my age especially) would take when going overseas on a strenuous hiking type vacation, and how much weight you’re normally willing to carry on these types of excursions.

I won’t always have the luxury of leaving items in a hotel since we’ll be hiking and staying in some remote mountain areas were the locals work in the rice fields, so everything I have I’d have to carry most of the time, in addition to a change of clothing and water.

Here is the gear I own:

D800

24-120mm f4

28mm 1.8

50mm 14

85mm 1.8

OMD

7.5mm

14mm f2.5

20mm f1.7

25mm f1.4

45mm f1.8

9-18mm f4-5.6

Also, I shoot a lot of street photography and landscapes so my sweet spot is between 24mm and 85mm so I rarely use the long end of my 24-120mm f4 anyway.

Thanks guys I appreciate your constructive feedback.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow