Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.
In reply to rgs_45, 7 months ago

rgs_45 wrote:

Aside the the 3mm difference in FL, what advantages and disadvantages of getting either the Pana or Oly lens?? For someone that has or used both, which has better sharpness, IQ? Which has faster focusing speed?

Pana: (+) cheaper, smaller, faster

Oly: (+) better built (to me), wider coverage (-) more expensive

I'm deciding which one to get and need some help. Will be used mainly indoors and low light shooting and maybe 10-20% video (short clips only). Will be getting one in a week for a trip. I have a GX1

Appreciate your help.

Pekka Potka did a very good comparison when reviewing the 17/1.8:

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/11/14/olympus-mzuiko-17mm-f18.html

His main point of difference was to do with fringing in high contrast areas. The 20mm was sharper in the centre, softer in the corners, whereas the 17mm was more even across the frame.

If I were you, I'd get the 20/1.7, as the Panasonic camera will be delivering software corrections for the fringing, it's smaller and cheaper. Not sure how the focusing speed is between them on a Panasonic body though.

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow