Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,486Gear list
Like?
Re: Pana 20/1.7 (version II) vs Oly 17/1.8?? Need help deciding.
In reply to rgs_45, 10 months ago

I have the version I 20/1.7 and the 17/1.8. By all accounts nothing changed optically or AF wise on the version II.

IQ is nearly the same, I tested mine carefully. Small differences in whether edges or center slightly sharper.

Size wise bulk about the same, 20 wider but flatter 17 narrower but taller.

AF is no contest, the 17 is way, way better than the 20. Fast and quiet. The 20 is noisy and slow.

Personally I don't use the 20 anymore, never did much actually, but the 17 gets pretty frequent use.

To me the 20 is a great optical lens and good pancake form factor ruined by an awful AF implementation. Why they didn't fix the AF with version II is beyond me.

Both will take great photos, the 20 will just do it with noise and slower AF. Not a good choice for video. But if you don't mind the noise and a bit slower focusing the 20 is a very nice lens.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow