Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
Medium format photography the old way, is it advisable?
2 months ago

Basically what the title says. I have recently started venturing in the world of film based photography which I find really intriguing. Started with 35mm but apparently the old medium format is the way to go. In this respect "giants" like the Pentax 645 or the Mamiya equivalent seem to be the more suggested options.

I like what I can find online for them and surprisingly their prices are also quite affordable. Almost too good to be true, but not based on the actual item for sale, but mainly because people seem to want to get rid of them. This is what worries me.

Shooting film always had, has and always will I guess have a cost involved even if you do your own developing. Is that it? The cost of rolls/developing or is it something more substantial?

Could be size/weight. Fair enough, they are indeed very substantial size-wise but on the other hand so are the equivalent digital ones. I mean the size of 120mm negative is huge, how can you hope to achieve this with a small SLR body?

What have they faced that made them sell all these beautiful pieces of kit and glass for a fraction of their prices? I mean why not keep them and shoot a couple of rolls every now and then, there is surely enough satisfaction involved in doing so. I can testify to the same even from my modest old 35mm Pentax MX.

Of course from a hundred different sellers you could get a hundred different reasons but this is not the point. I am not looking for specific reasons, just wondering if there are any pitfalls regarding film based medium photography that I am unaware of.

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow