My first deliberate photography in almost 6 months!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
My first deliberate photography in almost 6 months!
10 months ago

Well, I've been snapping away with the iphone, but not with a smile on my face! After finally getting my E-P5 and going through a hassle of deciding whether or not to return it, I just decided to keep the darn thing. (If you haven't read my previous posts, I bought a refurb E-P5 that's pretty dinged up.) I even contacted Olympus twice now and they haven't responded. Quite frankly, I don't care. I'm just happy to be able to start taking pictures again... with something other than an iPhone.

A little about the bridge below. I live in Portland Metro and this is the last bridge I used to cross to get to a job I worked at in Vancouver, WA. I worked there for over a year and I commuted back and forth on this bridge (and others), constantly thinking about how to capture it in a way that resembles how I think of it... because darn it, it's a pretty cool bridge! Today, I finally decided to go out and just wing it. I set out with My E-P5, 9-18mm, a craptastic tripod, and couple of Hoya filters.

As I arrived, I got anxious and started shooting almost immediately.

So anxious to start shooting, I'm literally holding the camera and tripod in mid air in this shot.

HOLY CRUD! This is my first time under the bridge! It's was so awesome looking!

I couldn't quite get exactly what I wanted here. Those bushes are full of thorns, but I really wanted those pillars in the shot! I figured I'd try "framing" my ideal shot with it instead. It's ok I suppose.

This is actually a vertical panoramic HDR. So many things went wrong with this shot, I'm not even going to mention it! This is what came out after hacking away at it for much longer than any of the other images!

Slightly intentional flaring... sort of.

I just learned that this was done by a high school and it's not actual graffiti. This image came out nowhere near what I wanted it to look like, but it's the only shot I got so I'm keeping it.

This image is heavily cropped in an attempt to show only the parts of the building I found interesting. This building is actually still in use by some utility company or another.

If you're familiar with where I'm at, this is the Pier to Joe's Crab Shack. It's actually closed off to the public. I realize there really is no composition here and it's for good reason. I'm literally holding my camera out from the side of the fence and crooking my arm back in. I was half tempted to hop around the fence, but quite frankly, with my recent back injury, I'm kind of scared I'll seize up mid climb.

Yes, those waters aren't known for their clarity. In fact, I actually toned down gruesomeness a notch or two in post.

I hope you enjoyed my first set of Olympus images!

After the past few days, I have just a few things to say regarding the E-P5. First off, this really is exactly the camera I wanted. It has all the manual controls I need and no big rubbery EVF to get ripped off and caught on from my jeans. I did bring the VF-4 with me today, but as I anticipated, I found it more of a hassle than anything else, I really have no problems using a screen for composing. The VF-4 will probably be sold off to fund a decent tripod (currently using a no-name 20lb tripod my mother in law used with her old minolta film camera!).

I have things figured out on the camera well enough to get to what I need, but even though it's not quite slow enough to be frustrating, it's just not quite fast enough to be practical. I haven't set up my "MySets" yet, so maybe after I do that, it'll make things a little faster to switch to and from.

Anyways, on a 1-10 scale, I'd give the E-P5 an 7.5, maybe an 8. If Olympus would somehow take the articulating screen from Panasonic G/GH series and put it on the E-P6, I'd be in heaven! The modular grips need to make a come back as well. Aside from that, I don't think I can live without 5 axis IBIS now!

OH and lastly, I haven't tested my unit for shutter shock. I have set up the antishock and release lag time just to prevent anything, but I'm not going to intentionally look for trouble.

CC welcome.

Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow