Flat view
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164Gear list
Like?
Low-Light AF Performance of A6000/A7/A7R vs NEX-5
8 months ago

Was hoping for some replies to my post in:

My Experience with the new A6000

but seeing as it's hit the 150 post mark I thought I'd make a new thread.

I own the old NEX-5 (almost 4 years old now) and I'd like to know how the low-light AF performance of the A6000/A7/A7R are (I intend to purchase one of these at some point). Also have a lot of legacy glass (FD and MD) along with the usual E-Mounts (1650, 1855, Sigma 30).

I have a friends wedding I'll be attending in May and the kind of shots I'd like to capture are when they are on the dance floor. I anticipate it will be quite low light, but with the new Eye-AF interests me.

I hear the A7s will struggle in this light but reading the dpreview it seems if you spot focus on a high contrast area the low light AF is acceptable.

Also in situations where the low-light AF is unacceptable how easy is it to MF to get your shot? With the NEX-5 lacking a viewfinder I struggled to get the shots I wanted especially when you can't turn liveview off with a 3rd party flash attached! (try focusing with a almost black screen!!!)

I don't do a lot of sports/action photography and in the event I do I'd probably pre focus (that's how I've managed with my current NEX-5) but would like to know how easy is it to do in low-light with these newer cameras. (Especially as I hear you can turn liveview off if things get too dark).

Thanks
Nick

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow