Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114Gear list
Like?
Get a K5II
In reply to ttaveira, 9 months ago

ttaveira wrote:

Hi,

So during the past few weeks I've been looking at lots of reviews of entry-level DSLRs, trying to decide on which to buy (it will be my first). I've mostly looked into Nikon, and was pretty much convinced I would buy either the D3300 or a D5200.

But, today I went to a shop which had the K-50, and was blown way by the viewfinder, as well as the build and "feel" on the hands.

The big and bright viewfinder just seems to add a lot more to the experience, and after some more Pentax-focused reading, I'm pretty much convinced it will be a better option. I have however three reservations with it, which I hope you'll help me clarify.

1) for the Nikons, I was thinking of ditching the kit lens, and get a standard zoom with better low light performance and sharpness (probably the Sigma 17-70 f2.8/4). I would like to do the same thing with the Pentax, particularly since focusing with the kit seems quite loud. I know the Sigma also comes with a K-mount, but since I have limited knowledge about Pentax lenses, what are my best options?

2) one of the recurring cons about Pentax cameras is the "lack" of lenses. I understand this is not really true, since having the focus motor on the body plus SR enables you to use lots and lots of lenses. In general though, it just seems there's "less options". Can you convince me otherwise?

3) as I mentioned, the focus motor on the camera seems quite loud. What are your experiences with it?

Thanks!

Surprisingly you can now get a Pentax K5II body for US$650 at Amazon, which is just a bit more US$100++ for a K50 body. It has a way better build and all of the external buttons you might need and IMHO is the better buy.

The Sigma 17-70 Contemporary should be a good choice with it.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow