I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
No wonder camera sales are tanking
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 7 months ago

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I blogged about it here: http://www.bershatsky.com/blog/2014/2/x-t1

Bottom line?

E-M1: Faster focusing and more responsive

X-T1: Nicer optics and images

I like the looks of the X-T1 images so much, that I'll deal with the slower speed and handling.

Another thing that occurs to me, is that all of the pictures were shot in very low light at an average of ISO 6400. Perhaps that is why my focusing experience was less than optimal.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but, on a technical level, I don't see anything new or especially noteworthy in any of the photographs posted.

Which is not to say the OP's samples aren't fine photographs--they're terrific. Good perspectives and exposures, both flattering and narratively focused. But the OP's post ends up saying a lot more about his general skill as a photographer than it does about the Fuji X-T1.

But just speaking toward the camera, the frames look to me like high-ISO JPEGs from any fairly recent crop-sensor camera--say, anything since the Nikon D7000 or the Canon 7D or the Olympus E-M5. They're pretty smooth, but there's no detail; dynamic range and color response are obviously limited; and the auto white balance is having a hell of a time (lots of purply faces!).

If the OP had posted these shots and claimed they were examples from, say, a Canon SL1 and Canon's 24mm f/2.8 prime, I would've believed him. Or from a Nikon D5300 and Nikon's 28mm f/1.8--yup, wouldn't have thought anything out of the ordinary. Or from a Pentax whatever and whatever--yup, I would've believed it.

I remember a few months ago the OP posted JPEGs from an Olympus E-P5. On a purely technical level, they looked a whole lot like these frames.

Maybe it's easier to see the X-T1's reported "mojo" in print?

Obviously it's fun to just sample the newest stuff and see what's cooking, technologically; but the OP's samples look to me like a fine illustration of the camera market's current difficulty: at this point, the improvements and distinctions--if there are any--appear to be pretty subtle, indeed. Especially with the straight-out-of-camera JPEGs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow