Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003Gear list
Like?
First day out with my FE 24-70mm
5 months ago

Myself and my wife were visiting our son at Reading University on Sunday, but travelled down on Friday and had a day in London on Saturday as the weather forecast looked promising. It was fortunately the first sunny day for what seems like weeks in the UK, and I was keen to take some pictures with my A7 and newly acquired FE 24-70 lens.

We have been watching a television series on great British architects, and decided to take a closer look at some of their buildings, so these are the main subject of the following series of pictures. Some are with the 24-70, and some with the 10-18, which due to its very restricted range on the A7 can be regarded as a wide angle prime. This was the cause of much lens swapping during the day which made me realise that the rumoured FE 16-35mm with a reasonable focal range overlap would be ideal to complement the 24-70, especially if it is stronger around 24mm.

In homage to the days when no DPR camera test was complete without a few Phil Askey shots of Tower Bridge I couldn't resist including a few taken with the 24-70 at various focal lengths.

I have also included a couple of shots of the bridge taken with an old Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6 ED zoom lens which is my only telephoto for the A7 at the moment. I was quite pleased with the results for a lens which only cost me £50 ($75)!

Fred

FE 24-70mm 24mm @ f/8

FE 24-70mm 35mm @ f/8

FE 24-70mm 50mm @ f/8

FE 24-70mm 70mm @ f/8

Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6 ED - 200mm @ f/5.6

Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6 ED - 300mm @ f/5.6

London architecture old and new:

St Paul's Cathedral

Lloyds Insurance Building

The Gherkin (official name St Mary Axe)

"The Shard Shattered" (fragmented reflection of the 87 storey skyscraper called The Shard)

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow