Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nrwhitman
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
Re: Tried to buy local, no sale.
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Several thoughts

Firstly your salesman was obviously incompetent and did not know his product. They abound these days and this is the second worst failing of anyone supposedly selling things.

Secondly the only way to get a proper in depth commentary on any camera seems to be to read a professional review and it also seems that many reviews are superficial and produced by wannabes.

If I ran a store think I would have the staff at least read DPReview reviews.  Had read it myself for the EM-1, all I really wanted to do was confirm ergonomics and better understand the WiFi.  Ergonomics, check.  WiFi, they threw me for a loop with mis-information.  My time was limited so choose to leave without camera rather than figuring it out.

Thirdly retail vendors really hate guys who come in and handle product, make excuses, and then buy on line to save a few bucks.

Actually, had money burning a hole in my pocket.  Company just paid a nice bonus plus a hefty tax refund.  It was there sale to loose and they did (for the time being anyway, half tempted to escalate to management and see what happens, but that is time I have to invest and feel under no obligation).  Price not an issue also as the EM-1 is not discounted that I can find.  They have same price as B&H, only difference being sales tax vs shipping.

Obviouslly if enough people buy on line then there will no retailers left to carry "demo" stock or at least they will not be able to hire knowledgeable sales staff. If you had the camera in your hand did you wish to "punish" the shoop for hiring such an ignorant salesman by buying elsewhere? Did B&H give you any better advice?

Or did the salesman sense that you were a tyre kicker (the most unredeeming attitude from sales staff) and not bother trying to appear knowledgeable for you

May have.  Don't know.  Was pretty direct, he asked if he could help, I asked to see EM-1.  I clearly new what I was interested in.  I can understand their frustration but when they treat customers as tyre kickers it shows in their attitude and results in customer frustration. Painful as it is think they need to treat all like potential customers, never know who will be and who won't.

I personally feel that if I really need to handle a camera that I have previously thoroughly researched and I approach a retail store that has it in stock I first check that the price is not unreasonable and then if I am allowed to take up someones time and handle the article then I am bound a the code of consumer ethics to buy from them as well. No matter how incompetent the staff are - I know more than them otherwise I would not find them incompetent.

Yeah, I'm the same actually.  Given a fair price and some confidence in their credibility will buy if I look and touch and take their time.  In this case I was actually questioning their credibility and honesty.  Not obliged to give my hard earned $1400 to just anyone.

More often than not I find that what I really want is not in stock and the place is full of "pap" everyman cameras, overpriced dslr lenses and the sales staff have no knowledge of their product anyway and are simply not interested in researching what they sell. Probably use their mobile phone as a camera themself. The death of the retail ccamera store becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

So I too more often than not buy on-line after doing my homework. and give retail outlets a complete miss. If they don't know their product, don't stock it, and will "buy one in" for you at some silly price if you beg a bit then why bother?

I tried to buy a Sony A7R a little while backfrom a local store. Not only was I a committed customer but I was bound to buy by my own "consumer ethics". They did not have one in stock and had no plans to stock them, even if they were already avaiable in other parts of the country on line and in stores. Lucky me, I then cooled off a bit and bought a GM1 (ha!).. But I didn't bother myself with a trip into the city to find out if the relatively obscure GM1 was in stock, I just opened my iPad and bought one sight unseen on-line.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

nrwhitman's gear list:nrwhitman's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow