In which ways, and why, are smaller sensors more efficient than larger? Part 2

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,850Gear list
Like?
DPR exposure
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

This is a response to Steen Bay's post here in a recently expired thread on the same topic as the present one.

Steen Bay wrote:

P.S. - Eksamples of how the exposure can vary (quite a bit) in DPR's new comparison tool :

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52346197

Have you tried to check, for those examples, how the ADU levels in the RAW files match those we'd expect on the basis of DxO "measured ISOs" if the exposure were the same (i.e., same amount of light on the sensor per area unit). What I think Richard Butler has said is that they have better means of controlling the light level for the new studio scene than for the old. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the light level doesn't vary at all (whether intended or not). I wouldn't take anyone words for it but just check the RAW files. When I have done so in the past (for the old studio scene rather than the old), I have never found exposure to differ by more than 1/3 EV between two cameras, and the difference has usually been less than that.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow