Tried to buy local, no sale.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
Complain. I did and it worked, plus discount. And salesmen CAN be knowledgeable.
In reply to nrwhitman, 5 months ago

I'm in the UK, and had a different but equally off-putting experience in my local shop.  They'd brought a Panny 35-100 in from their bigger store for me to try, but were so off-hand and rude I couldn't bring myself to hand over money.

I drove the hour's journey back, found an email address for head office, and described the situation, pointing out I could get a grey import for hundreds less.  I was cross and it showed.

Two days later someone called me (having found me on the internet- I'd given no number), apologised unreservedly, said it was very much their policy to provide polite service and he was investigating why I hadn't received this.  And he offered me a £50 discount (in the form of an extra £50 for the Oly 12-50 I was trading in) if I still wanted the lens.

He said he realised I must have felt strongly to spend 30 minutes or so giving a detailed account of my visit to their shop.

As for those of you defending salespeople on the grounds that there's too much to learn, this is nonsense.  In the same shop, when I went back a while later, was a young man who had detailed knowledge of both brands I was familiar with (Nikon and Oly) and gave not just information but also good advice.  As did the staff of Jacobs in Newcastle before they closed.

So don't just moan about poor service, complain to those in charge.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow