Moving to Olympus OM-D from Nikon for studio work

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
DeepBlue2
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving to Olympus OM-D from Nikon for studio work
In reply to toggler, 9 months ago

Having moved to Olympus from the D200, I think you'll like the switch.

I think the E-M1 gives better results than the older Nikons.  It's certainly better than my D200, although you have the 3 series so the difference probably narrows.

I love having IS for every lens. The primes and normal range zooms for Nikon don't normally have VR, which I find frustrating. Nikon doesn't think you need VR below about 100mm, except on kit zooms.

Although the IQ will be similar for any of the OM-D series, the better viewfinder coupled with the wifi of the E-M1 make it a great studio machine and worth the extra money in my opinion.

The lens options for the m43 system are a better value in my opinion. The 12-35 and 12-40 are half the cost of the Nikon equivalent and give great results. The 45mm and 25mm prime options are outstanding. Of course, if you are heavily invested in Nikon glass, this doesn't help much. On the other hand, I've not had any problem selling my Nikon lenses.

The downside of the m43 is the third-party wireless ttl options that are available for Nikon. You won't find anything like the Pocketwizard FlexTTL for the m43 system.  If you use manual flash though, it won't matter.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Mike
Tampa, FL

DeepBlue2's gear list:DeepBlue2's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow