Tried to buy local, no sale.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?
I live in Portland too!
In reply to FrankParis, 10 months ago

I din't buy a camera at Pro Photo supply only because I found a better deal on ebay, but I did go over there to browse and they are an excellent shop. Portland has a few other shops that specialize in film photography and while I no longer do any of that, I like the idea that the town has the kind of places that keep that tradition alive.

I don't want to come off as too much of a Portland "fan by," but I have to say that Portland scores pretty high marks for lots of different things... camera stores are just one. Lots and lots of good places for food and drink as well as looks of other good stuff... record stores, book stores, etc.

It is pretty disheartening to shop for a camera and find that they folks behind the counter know even less than you do. While I'm not quite the tech geek that so many on this site are, I feel that these instruments are really amazing and I can't imagine working at a shop that sells them without really getting into learning all I can about them. It really isn't that hard and anyone who doesn't have the kind of patience for learning about this kind of stuff, shouldn't even be working there... there are enough folks who really know or are willing to learn that there's no excuse...

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow