Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jonny Boyd
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Cutting to the chase.
In reply to Great Bustard, 8 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

The universal claim I'm disproving is that peak visible resolution always occurs at the same aperture.

You didn't disprove that the peak resolution always occurs at the same aperture, all else equal.

As I've repeatedly said, including in the post you quoted, indeed the very line you quoted, I'm referring to the peak visible resolution, not the peak resolution. There's an important difference.

At best, you've said that if the resolution is low enough and/or the photo is displayed small enough, there will be a large range of apertures where the loss of resolution either due to lens aberrations for apertures wider than the peak aperture or due to diffraction for apertures more narrow than the peak aperture, will not be noticed,

That's exactly what I've been claiming the whole time in this thread.

none of which has anything, whatsoever, to do with being "diffraction limited".

Diffraction causes a decrease in resolution, agreed?

When resolution drops due to stopping down from the peak aperture, that is due to diffraction, agreed?

At the aperture at which diffraction is reducing resolution, you can say that diffraction is limiting the resolution of the final image, agreed?

If resolution appears to be the same at an aperture smaller than the peak aperture then diffraction doesn't become the dominant factor in limiting resolution until later than the peak aperture, agreed?

Therefore, for practical purposes, as far as the eye can see, a system where resolution visibly drops immediately after peak aperture is more limited by diffraction than a system where the visible drop happens later. Agreed?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow