I've given up trying video with my Nikon DSLR, what m4/3 camera should I get?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?
I've given up trying video with my Nikon DSLR, what m4/3 camera should I get?
10 months ago

I'm really a stills photographer but want to have video capabilities if needed "in an emergency". Some client might ask "so do you do video?" and I'll be able to reply "yeah, sort of, what do you need?" and actually be able to deliver. I'm talking about handheld mostly. If I set my DSLR on a tripod and manually focus, yeah, it can get the shot.

I've tried video with my Nikon DSLRs (D5100/D5200) and yes, they do take video. But not well, it seems, if I'm walking around with them trying to video. Live View focusing is dog slow, they won't focus if I'm zoomed in, going into Live View and hearing the mirror going up and down, then up and down ('cause I don't walk around in Live View forever), well it's driving me nuts.

Which brings me to a mirrorless camera. My question is, without resorting to spending a bunch of money on a Panasonic GH2/3/4 type of camera (which are almost too competent for my needs), what would be a decently competent maybe years old camera of any brand that would do what I need? I could put a short zoom on it (hopefully starting at 28mm-equivalent or less) and know it will get the shot, focus fast, do all the things that one would want once one gets into video?

Sorry to be so vague about this but I picture being able to whip out this m4/3 camera, when asked if I do video, and saying "yup, let's do it" and be confident about it. I feel more confident taking out my venerable TZ5 and doing a video than my DSLR!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow