I own an E-M1 and an X-T1. I'll probably sell the E-M1, but it's not a clear choice.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,069Gear list
Like?
Re: why do you own a DSLR or mirrorless camera
In reply to lighthunter80, 10 months ago

lighthunter80 wrote:

I shoot raw only - no exception. However, there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with shooting jpeg regardless of the camera you use. All advantages of a good camera remain the same except some choose convenience (jpeg) over the extra bit of IQ (raw). Cannot see why a jpeg person should not use/enjoy the same camera like a quality extremist?

I was thinking the same way for a while and was a staunch JPG shooter. As you I thought that converting RAW ia a big time consuming hustle. Also I want to make a point that OOC JPGs never satisfied me, and I had to spend time editing and improving my JPGs working with contrasts, levels, sharpness etc.

When first time I tried RAW, I was very anxious that I'll spend my life doing one file. Reality is: RAW saves me lots of time in compare with editing JPG. RAW not only improves IQ, RAW also is a time saver, and for situations when shot went bad, RAW is the straw that saves the shot.

I'm sure that curiosity not only kills some cats,  but also eventually ask you to shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow