ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bluevortex
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
EM5 + 25mm 1.4 - not blown away
5 months ago

Hi all,

Just recently upgraded from an EP3 to EM5 & purchased a 25mm 1.4 to go with it. My reason for the 25 1.4 is that I have two boys (aged 1&4) and having previously owned the 20mm 1.7 (I found the AF frustrating slow) and felt the extra reach would be an advantage as I often would feel the need to move forward slightly and recompose the shot.

Ive had the combination a couple of weeks now and whilst I appreciate that's not much time to form an opinion on  this lens I am wondering if this was the right choice for me? The bright lens maybe too bright if that makes sense, I have been out and tested on woodland walks etc but find I'm continually over exposing, even shooting raw and processing in lr5 I'm struggling to pull details back.  I've tested indoors too and yes the lens is great in low light but I'm finding it difficult to strike a balance and get a sharp Images overall. It feels quite different to other m43 lenses I've used (14-42, 14-150, 20 1.7 & 45mm 1.8). Perhaps this is not the all purpose walk around prime I was hoping for?

I describe myself as keen amateur main subject family, portrait and landscape - I have been in m43 for 2 years since getting the ep3 but tbh something akin to the rx10 would probably suit my needs... The problem is I am now so used to snapping the kids with the fantastic 45mm 1.8 that I'd feel id miss this lens too much and the style of images it creates!

All said, I very much like the handling/ergo of the Em5, I just need to persevere with the 25mm. my frustration is no doubt down solely to me  being a bit amateurish, would really appreciate some advice from people with this combo and how best to put it to use.

Blue

Bluevortex's gear list:Bluevortex's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow