Why are Micro-4/3rds lenses SO MUCH SHARPER than full frame ones? Don't believe me?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are Micro-4/3rds lenses SO MUCH SHARPER than full frame ones? Don't believe me?
In reply to lighthunter80, 5 months ago

I use FF and m43 and while most m43 are really sharp I wouldn't dump my FF gear yet

You have to take DOF and the advantage of the sensor size into the equation. I was for a week in New Zealand and had my Canon FF and Oly E-P5 with me and for the trip I have shot about an equal amount of pictures and when I came home to do my general post I have to say after seeing plenty of pictures side by side of the same locations, I liked the FF images more. They have this extra bit of pop and felt just more 'real'.

So no hard feelings. I like my m43 gear and love using it but there are differences beyond sharpness.
In fact I don't have sharpness issues at all with my FF gear. Check this out http://www.flickr.com/photos/lighthunter_de/12689531993/ (Canon 5D2 with Sigma 35 Art wide open).

Stopped down lens plus base ISO on Full Frame = more dynamic range and smoother, less noisy images = more pop and more real.

I still wouldn't buy one though, because I value having a small sized system.

You can get smooth looking images with "pop" from m43, but it takes more post processing work - that shot of Annapurna in Nepal done on an E-PL1 with the Samyang fisheye, that ended up in National Geographic, is a good example.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow