Why are Micro-4/3rds lenses SO MUCH SHARPER than full frame ones? Don't believe me?

Started Feb 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
AndyGM Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: Why are Micro-4/3rds lenses SO MUCH SHARPER than full frame ones? Don't believe me?

I use FF and m43 and while most m43 are really sharp I wouldn't dump my FF gear yet

You have to take DOF and the advantage of the sensor size into the equation. I was for a week in New Zealand and had my Canon FF and Oly E-P5 with me and for the trip I have shot about an equal amount of pictures and when I came home to do my general post I have to say after seeing plenty of pictures side by side of the same locations, I liked the FF images more. They have this extra bit of pop and felt just more 'real'.

So no hard feelings. I like my m43 gear and love using it but there are differences beyond sharpness.
In fact I don't have sharpness issues at all with my FF gear. Check this out http://www.flickr.com/photos/lighthunter_de/12689531993/ (Canon 5D2 with Sigma 35 Art wide open).

Stopped down lens plus base ISO on Full Frame = more dynamic range and smoother, less noisy images = more pop and more real.

I still wouldn't buy one though, because I value having a small sized system.

You can get smooth looking images with "pop" from m43, but it takes more post processing work - that shot of Annapurna in Nepal done on an E-PL1 with the Samyang fisheye, that ended up in National Geographic, is a good example.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow