Why are Micro-4/3rds lenses SO MUCH SHARPER than full frame ones? Don't believe me?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are Micro-4/3rds lenses SO MUCH SHARPER than full frame ones? Don't believe me?
In reply to highwave, 6 months ago

beomagi wrote:

The first thing you should realize is that for an equivalent depth of field, the full frame lenses would be F3.6, at which point, even full frame lenses can be sharp across the frame on a full frame sensor easily. The larger sensor will be able to handle a higher I SO to compensate for higher f-stop.

I don't see the point in buying a larger, heavier, and more expensive sensor camera and then stop it down to the point of matching a much smaller sensor. Why am I paying in terms of money/weight/size then?

Two words - dynamic range. In a bright scene, you can stop down the lens, AND stay at base ISO. In that situation, with a Full Frame you are much less likely to get blown highlights and/or crushed shadows.

Those big old things have more advantages than just low light photography.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow