Jonny Boyd
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Cutting to the chase.
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 8 months ago

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Jonny Boyd wrote:

The universal claim I'm disproving is that peak visible resolution always occurs at the same aperture.

You didn't disprove that the peak resolution always occurs at the same aperture, all else equal. At best, you've said that if the resolution is low enough and/or the photo is displayed small enough, there will be a large range of apertures where the loss of resolution either due to lens aberrations for apertures wider than the peak aperture or due to diffraction for apertures more narrow than the peak aperture, will not be noticed, none of which has anything, whatsoever, to do with being "diffraction limited".

+1. The formula Johnny uses can be justified under some assumptions, like a Gaussian blur. But it proves him wrong, as the plots illustrate (the formula, too, but I guess formulas are out of fashion nowadays).

And where exactly does it prove me wrong? It would be helpful if you elucidated rather than making bald assertions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow