"But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA Pt. 2

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,752
Like?
Re: Marketing Hyperbole
In reply to Basalite, 9 months ago

Basalite wrote:

But since you're so convinced, why don't you provide two images, one taken with a Sigma camera and the other with a new 24 MP camera (which you said it would also outresolve), taken of the same subject in the same conditions with the same processing (including the same levels of sharpening). Unless you normalize all of the other variables, you can't attribute any difference to the sensor. Even something as simple as a focus error could make a difference.

I have done this a number of times. I am not going to do it for someone who will obviously deny the results. If you were openminded and objective on the matter I would.

Translated: no such proof exists. Just as I expected.

Anyone can download sample Sigma images and sample RAWs from any Bayer sensor camera and they can easily see the difference for themselves, and they don't have to be of the "same subject in the same conditions." If you think that then it shows you to not be a very experienced photographer.

They absolutely must be the of same subject and taken in same conditions with the same processing.

Otherwise, the differences could be due to anything at all.

The only way to know if the difference is the sensor and not something else is by normalizing all of the other variables.

You know nothing about objective testing.

And to really be a proper test, it should be a double-blind test. Quite often in a double-blind test, people do no better than chance. That means they weren't seeing/hearing/tasting/etc. what they thought they were.

Read the relevant posts. It was about human vision and then you changed it to 15 megapixel cameras.

Both are obviously related to resolution, or detail rendered, what was being discussed. It is what is always being discussed by Sigma users. It's why they buy such cameras in the first place. Perhaps you should read the title of this thread.

Except that humans can't see the higher chroma resolution. Perhaps you should read a physiology book.

And I'm not the one correcting anyone's grammar. That would be you.

Good Lord. So who wrote all the nonsense below?

You did.

This was *the first grammar correction* made in our discussion: "You have no idea what you're talking about, let alone anyone else."

That was not a grammar correction.

It was in response to you posting: "I have no idea what you are talking about and how that relates to anything I have said."

I then pointed out that you didn't know what you were talking about, nevermind anyone else, something that becomes more obvious with every post you make.

Then you followed up with this: "It's a good thing you checked. Now you know what a contraction is."

That's because you said "Last time I checked, you are and "you're" are two forms of the same thing."

I'm glad you checked because I would not want you to be uncertain about what they meant.

Then this: "If they're (they are) the same thing, then it doesn't (does not) matter which one I use." "But what's (what is) really bizarre is that you're (you are) actually complaining that I wrote you're instead of you are."

That was to satirize your ludicrous comments. Subtle, but nevertheless, amusing.

The issue is not whether another camera can match the Sigma, but whether humans can see chroma detail as well as luma. They cannot.

So what is every reviewer seeing when they describe Sigma's exceptional detail? Are they imagining it? Is it a conspiracy?

They certainly aren't seeing additional chroma detail.

What detail are they seeing? Surely they are experiencing dramatically more detail or they wouldn't mention it.

False detail, aka aliasing, with a lot of sharpening. Try to keep up. I've said that a few times already.

They can't, unless they're aliens with different visual abilities than humans, in which case that would be much bigger news than whatever these aliens wrote in their reviews.

Tell them that then. Perhaps you can give them a grammar lesson while you are at it?

Are you actually saying humans can see chroma detail as well as luma detail?

If so, you ought to contact some medical schools and let them know about your findings. Will that be before or after your visit to MIT to tell them Nyquist has been overturned?

Just look at the resolution charts. The Sigma cameras are riddled with aliasing. That's not resolving. An example of that was posted already.

No, you are simply seeing well defined pixels, that are much blurrier in Bayer sensor cameras. The Foveon sensor is also not subject to color moire, as Bayer sensors are.

However, Foveon is more susceptible to aliasing because there's no anti-alias filter. It doesn't manifest itself as false colour patterns. It's luminance aliasing, which can be 'well defined pixels' that are wrong as well as ugly moire patterns.

There is always an upper limit to what a sensor can resolve.

So? What does that have to do with a 15MP Foveon clearly out-resolving a 15MP Bayer?

If it's so clear, why did the resolution chart posted show the opposite?

The limit is a hard limit. Nothing can resolve past Nyquist and there's a fair amount of aliasing before that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow