Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andre Knudsen
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
EM5 and raw conversion options
10 months ago

I'm sure there are several threads here about raw conversion, but for those of you that have done testing with different tools I would love to hear your findings. I've been using Aperture and though it is OK I'm not totally convinced. Today I tool a look at Olympus Viewer 3 (1.21) since it is now a little faster than the previous version.

The other factor in raw conversion is that it has to fit my workflow which until now has been Aperture exclusively. I use the NIK plug-ins and edit in PS CS5 for majority of my images. Sometimes just a touchup in Aperture is enough. Adding raw conversion before importing to Aperture is an additional step I was hoping not to do, but the result from the Oly Viewer have me convinced that I will get the most out of the raw files.

Shooting ETTR and then convert in Oly Viewer 3 to 16bit tiff files have given me some pleasing results, though a lot slower options then directly in Aperture.

The converter I've tried so far are:

Adobe ACR, Aperture and Oly Viewer 3, which gives me the best result. I know there are other tools out there and would like to hear your opinion on what gives the best result.

This is an image that was converted in Oly Viewer 3 and imported to Aperture in 16 bit tiff. Minor adjustments in Aperture.

-- hide signature --

www.aknudsen.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow