Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andre Knudsen
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
EM5 and raw conversion options
8 months ago

I'm sure there are several threads here about raw conversion, but for those of you that have done testing with different tools I would love to hear your findings. I've been using Aperture and though it is OK I'm not totally convinced. Today I tool a look at Olympus Viewer 3 (1.21) since it is now a little faster than the previous version.

The other factor in raw conversion is that it has to fit my workflow which until now has been Aperture exclusively. I use the NIK plug-ins and edit in PS CS5 for majority of my images. Sometimes just a touchup in Aperture is enough. Adding raw conversion before importing to Aperture is an additional step I was hoping not to do, but the result from the Oly Viewer have me convinced that I will get the most out of the raw files.

Shooting ETTR and then convert in Oly Viewer 3 to 16bit tiff files have given me some pleasing results, though a lot slower options then directly in Aperture.

The converter I've tried so far are:

Adobe ACR, Aperture and Oly Viewer 3, which gives me the best result. I know there are other tools out there and would like to hear your opinion on what gives the best result.

This is an image that was converted in Oly Viewer 3 and imported to Aperture in 16 bit tiff. Minor adjustments in Aperture.

-- hide signature --

www.aknudsen.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow