Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
fPrime
Contributing MemberPosts: 641Gear list
D200: King of DX color until proven otherwise
10 months ago

It's not easy to get independent, comparative RAW files of different cameras but thank goodness there's Imaging Resource. Because of the recent controversy surrounding the color image quality of CCD versus CMOS I've undertaken a comparison specifically between the D200 and D300. I encourage all of you to verify my findings independently and challenge them if you find them incorrect.

Basically I have concluded that the CCD sensor of the D200 reveals color that the CMOS sensor of the D300 cannot see. The evidence of this is in the image below:

D300 scaled to D200 resolution

These are my own conversions from the ISO 100 RAW files available for download from Imaging Resource. Using the identical WB, RAW conversion, and post processing settings these conversions suggest that the D200 can pickup fine color difference in the crayon wrappers much better than the D300 even while not oversaturating colors as a whole like in the crayon box.

My conversions were done with ACR and Photoshop, but I doubt that another convertor can produce better results.  In consideration of the scientific process... here are the RAW files for anyone to disprove my findings.

D200: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D200/D200hSL0100.NEF.HTM

D300: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D300/D300hSLI0100.NEF.HTM

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow