Mirrorless Spanked at 2014 World Press Photo Comp.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?
Re: Full quote from Reichmann - another lie
In reply to PerL, 7 months ago

PerL wrote:

Full quote:

"For day-to-day use in normal light they are fine, but in low light and low contrast conditions the AF simply doesn't work all that well. It hunts. It misses, and often it simply gives up. People shooting beside me with Nikons and Canons were nailing focus of penguins porpoising and whales sounding, but I was left standing there with my lenses racking back and forth. I switched to manual focus with Peaking, but while better than nothing it just wasn't quick enough for fast action wildlife shooting.

Olympus – you have one of the world's finest lens lines with these optics. The OM-D1 is a step in the right direction, but now it's time to simply do better when it comes to AF."

Still lying in an attempt to push the discussion in your direction.

The TRUE, FULL QUOTE is as follows:

"I took some 3,900 frames over a period of five days in Antarctica. This was typical, though some photographers trippled this number with bracketing and panos. All of mine were shot with a 16 MP Olympus OM-D E-M1 and two lenses, the Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4, and the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5. These lenses were designed for the original Four Thirds cameras, and were orphaned for a time because no Micro Four Thirds cameras has phase detection autofocus, which these lenses require to work properly. But now with the OM-D1 they are reborne.

Truth be told though, while these lenses, and others in the original Olympus Four Thirds High Grade and Super High Grade family are some of the best lenses ever, they have their flaws. Not optical, but with regard to autofocus. For day-to-day use in normal light they are fine, but in low light and low contrast conditions the AF simply doesn't work all that well. It hunts. It misses, and often it simply gives up. People shooting beside me with Nikons and Canons were nailing focus of penguins porpoising and whales sounding, but I was left standing there with my lenses racking back and forth. I switched to manual focus with Peaking, but while better than nothing it just wasn't quick enough for fast action wildlife shooting.

Olympus – you have one of the world's finest lens lines with these optics. The OM-D1 is a step in the right direction, but now it's time to simply do better when it comes to AF"

If you bother to notice the context carefully Mr. Reichmann does NOT blame the format, mirrorless, nor does he blame the camera per se. Reichmann blames the LENSES when used WITH the camera, a question of backward compatibility.  So trying to misquote the author by editing down the full comment, in order to rewrite context to suit yourself, is dishonest.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow