Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
The G1x after 18 months of reasonably heavy use
2 months ago

you must understand this camera's limitations:  it is a Canon Powershop digicam with an APS-C sensor and a remarkably good lens grafted on.  Which means, like every Powershot, it is slow to get into use; not designed for action; somewhat clumsy (by dSLR standards) ergos; and the sensor/lens geometry means essentially no macro.  Oh, all is packaged in a rather clunky body that, still, is half the size and weight of an APSC dSLR (even if the size of a smaller m4/3).

So why do i like the ugly pup so?  By golly it does the deliver the goods within its operational envelope.  We are talking full contemporary Canon APS quality on the order of what the 7D can deliver; 20x30 prints are a doodle with this thing, particulary when shot Raw.  Did i mention that, in addition to the great lens, it also has the best VR system i've ever used?

Another point: simply because it lacks interchangeable lenses i find i can hand it to family members for a vacation and they come back as excited about the prints they can make as i am.

The G1x might not be the prettiest girl at the prom, but she may be the one to take home to momma.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
gear1box's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow