+*+*+*+ You and your m43 this week +*+*+*+

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffpix
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: Hawks and more
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 7 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

My best attempts for the week. Constructive criticism encouraged so next week's can be better.

I'm especially interested in which of the hawks shots you prefer and if there is anything special about the sunrise shot.

After sending this I'm on my way to a park I've never been to hoping to get some good photos.

Hi Florida,

This is a beautiful bird. I like your second shot best, because I think that it focuses on the animal and removes much of the environment, which is complex and somewhat distracting. In situations like this, where the surroundings are cluttered, I usually go for a closeup.

Below is a picture that I took of an owl at the Bandelier park in New Mexico. I walked all around the bird until I found the simplest background there was. Fortunately, the bird was happy to look away from that direction for a while.

You can see that even then, I decided to get quite close and also to lower myself until I was looking straight into the bird's face. I think that the direct eye-to-eye contact can add some zing to the picture...if the bird is willing to cooperate for a second!

As for sharpness, I am not an expert on that. My pictures are not super sharp, but I don't use a tripod. I travel light.

All the best,

Jeff

Owl at Bandelier, New Mexico.

jeffpix's gear list:jeffpix's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow