G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Johnrr44
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X mkII: No HDR, DR, 60fps @1080p and panorama, at such a high price?
In reply to Ranlee, 5 months ago

Ranlee wrote:

tron555 wrote:

After 2 years, the G1X mkII should have had many more features built into it, such as:

1. Video with 60 fps @ 1080p should be mandatory, even cheaper P&S cameras have it
  2. Sweep panorama mode is not that hard to implement, even cheaper P&S cameras have it
  3. It should have an upgraded sensor with at least 16 MP's, even cheaper P&S cameras have it
  4. It should have a newer and improved sensor DxO rating of 70-75 instead of only 60 :/
  5. It should have more external controls, at least one on the top plate or under the shutter button
  6. It should have a built in EVF of some kind
  7. It should have a swiveling touch panel display
  8. It should have PDAF on sensor for good tracking
  9. It should have weather proofing!!!

Without any of these features, I'm sure the competition will come out with a camera with most of them and a higher efficient 1" sensor in the near future. Image quality (still to be determined) is one thing, but handling and features is what sells cameras along with IQ. Canon definitely skimped on features on this upgrade of the G1X and I don't think it will be a big seller. There is more to a camera now a days than just a large sensor and good lens, which has not proven itself yet. I think waiting to see what the Nikon P8000 comes out with around the same time may be a good idea. Although I think the lens specs 'look good', that is about all it has going for it, but only 13 MP's is a major draw back for that size sensor. Even if Canon included 5 or 6 of the 9 features above, it would have been a very exiting upgrade for an $800 P&S camera. They sure left a lot out of this camera, IMO!

Ok - here is my opinion:

1. Video - don't need it, don't want it, don't want to pay for it.

2. Sweep panorama - would only rarely use it, certainly not a must have.

3. More MP's - I'm fine with 13 MP, I don't print large and I've never run into a crop problem on my G1X so why would I need more?

4. Newer improved sensor - I guess I wasn't aware that DxO has already rated the sensor on the G1X Mark II, and if they have I'm not sure I care as long as I like the images I get out of it.

5. More external controls. Well, it's got a rear dial, 2 lens dials, and touch LCD. If touch is implemented well I really don't see much to complain about.

6. BIEVF - The OVF is another thing I never used on my G1X so I won't miss it and frankly I like that I don't have to pay for it if I don't want it.

7. Yeah, I kind of agree - I liked the articulating LCD on my G1X but again, I can see where making it a touch could present a problem with that configuration - anyway, not a deal breaker.

8. PDAF - Well, I think I'll be cool with improved focus especially if it's even close to what my Panasonics can do and they don't have PDAF.

9. Yeah, weatherproofing would be nice but it's not like every other camera or even most have it.

tron - I expect all the things you want would cost money. Some think it already costs too much. I think you are right in that Canon will not sell a huge number of these but I hope you are wrong. I expect a lot of money went into the lens development and I would like to Canon rewarded for that cost if nothing else as an incentive to continue that sort of research.

Randy

Pretty much ditto for me.

1.  I don't care about video frame rates since I rarely use video.

2.  Panorama I think can be done better in PS.

3.  I would vote against more MP's if it meant poorer low light noise, slower fps, etc.  13 MPS are enough for this type of camera, if they are done well.

4.  We don't know what this sensor can do, so to say that it should have been something else is premature.  And, I don't pay attention to the MP, DXO numbers games.

5.  More external controls would be nice, but probably not necessary.

6.  A built-in EVF probably would be nice, but I want to see if it really is needed.

7.  I think that a fully articulated screen would be a liability with a touch screen.

8.  We'll have to see if the AF is good as is before I would prescribe a solution to a problem that may not exist.

9.  Very good weatherproofing is going to be impossible in a camera/lens of this design.

You are entitled to express your thoughts on the adequacy of the G1X m2 design and how much it will sell, but there will be others, including myself, who see it differently, and hope that the improvements made will attract customers.  I didn't buy the original, but, for my needs as a casual travel/family cam, I am quite interested in it as is, so far.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow